Sunday 8 August 2010

Buddleia


Buddleia




Two days in a row and I am posting flowers. Is this romantic? Or is it foolish? I am wondering. As I said yesterday I have a real love for flowers but know that my style of tackling art can never really accomplish good floral art. I really should leave that to those of you who are good at it.

Yesterday, in the midst of all the other things I had to do in my preparation for today’s ruby wedding gathering, I found myself looking again and again at the Buddleia in my garden. It grows all over the place around here. On disused railways and abandoned buildings. It is so easy to grow, break off a branch and stick it in the ground and it will root. I have two planted because the butterflies love the strong aroma and the flowers. I in turn love seeing the butterflies in my garden.

I thought I would have a further try at painting flowers. In my usual way, I did a quick sketch then started in with the pastels. Then I added another bloom here and another bloom there.

I have ended up with a pastel, but one that is a very awkward size to ever consider mounting or framing. I took a picture of it and I share it with you, that is probably the foolish part of me. The one saving grace is that this being a Sunday fewer people than normal seem to visit blogs.

Painted using hard pastel sticks.



This blog is linked to my other   It Is That Kind of Day

9 comments:

  1. Ralph, first of all, Happy Ruby Wedding Anniversary! Secondly, thanks for putting up this work - its 'fullsomeness' has inspired me to paint today. My desire to paint has been 'off the boil' for a few days now and now I feel like getting out the paints. Some 'celebratory' energy is possibly coming off this pastel work, so please don't hesitate to post work like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to seeing the results of your painting Anne and happy that this attempt has got you started again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyone brave enough to attempt painting in pastels has my respect right away! I think this painting has a great appeal. I was at an art show critique yesterday, and the judge emphasized making your shadows full of color - easy on the black and white, and be sure your shadows reflect colors. You've done that nicely in this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh- this is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this one Ralph. I think you did a wonderful job capturing the beauty of these flowers. I've thought of adding them to my garden but don't they grow rather large and unruly? Even though it's Sunday, I hope you have lots of visitors to see this. What is the size of it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is brilliant! love the soft texture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this hard pastel look! what a great med. to use.there are 2 flowers here that look like this the Lilac and the Wisteria. I have the Wisteria. It will grow over and smother everything in its way. Its fast growing and the blooms are much like this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! These look as though they are protruding from the page! Wonderful! And I love your castle in the sky too. Such variety you share :0)

    ReplyDelete